Barney Campbell Tjakamarra
Barney Campbell Tjakamarra is of the Ngaanyatjarra language group, born circa 1928 at Kaylilwarra south Warbuton in the Gibson Desert of Western Australia and is a well respected Pintupi Law-Man.
DOB: c 1928 - December 2006
Significant Country: Western Desert
Community: Mt Liebig, NT
Barney Campbell Tjakamarra is of the Ngaanyatjarra language group, born circa 1928 at Kaylilwarra south Warbuton in the Gibson Desert of Western Australia and is a well-respected Pintupi Law-Man. Barney’s Mother and Father died in the bush when he was young, so he was “grown up” by relatives, his second mother and father. It was his uncle who took him to Papunya where he became a man.
Barney often worked side by side with Willy Tjungurrayi at Kintore, both are serious painters. Barney’s works faithfully portrays his ‘dreamings’ in a meticulous manner and the ‘classical’ Pintupi style of work.
Barney is a senior law man and elder, with the right to paint the Tingari Cycle stories. These song cycles / creation stories form part of the teachings of the initiated youth, providing the basis for contemporary customs. Many of the stories relate to the sacred sites around the Lake MacDonald area. These creation stories tell of the epic journey of the ancestors, the Tingari Men and Women who travelled through the land in the Dreamtime (Tjukurrpa) creating particular sites and teaching Aboriginal law.
Barney married Maisie Campbell Napaltjarri, who is also an artist, and had four children with her.
The most common subject depicted in Barney’s paintings is that of the Tingari Cycle. His paintings possess a wonderful subtlety and are characterised by a series of roundels which seem to float in a maze of sinuous lines. Such iconography is profoundly reminiscent of ceremonial body designs and traditional ground drawings.
Barney Campbell has been represented in exhibitions and collections around the world, including:
- Gallery Gondwana, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Gallery Gondwana, Alice Springs, NT, Australia
- Aboriginal Desert Art Gallery, Alice Springs, NT, Australia
- Victorian Art Centre Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth, WA, Australia
- National Gallery of Victoria Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- National Gallery of Australia Canberra, ACT, Australia
- Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- Art Gallery of South Australia Adelaide, SA, Australia
- Artbank Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Museum & Art Gallery Northern Territory, Darwin, NT, Australia
- Holmes a' Court Collection Perth, WA, Australia
For more extensive information about this artist contact us at email@example.com
Artworks for sale
Looking to purchase works by this artist but can't see what you're looking for? We can source artworks from them for you.